I am an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins University starting in July 2017.
Currently I am at MSR Redmond Systems Group doing a post-doc.
I did my PhD at UCSD
working with an awesome advisor, Prof. Yuanyuan Zhou.
My primary research area is in computer systems, with intersection between
programming languages, and software engineering. The overarching goal of my
research is to enable building reliable, efficient, and defensible systems
in emerging computing platforms such as cloud-scale data centers and small
I'm looking for motivated students to work with. If you are interested in
hacking systems and advancing state of the art, drop me an email along with you CV!
- [11/02] PCheck won the OSDI '16 Jay Lepreau Best Paper Award!
- [09/23] Successfully defend my thesis titled Toward Understanding and Dealing with Failures in Cloud-Scale Systems
- [07/30] Our paper on detecting latent misconfiguration is accepted to appear at OSDI '16
- [03/10] Our paper on mobile app network disruptions is accepted by EuroSys '16
- [02/23] Our paper on defensive mobile operating system is accepted by MobiSys '16
My recent research projects are:
- DefDroid: a defensive mobile OS to tame disruptive apps
- ConfValley: a declarative configuration validation framework
- A comprehensive study on cloud service failure, fault, and fault-tolerance
- eDoctor: a diagnosis tool for smartphone abnormal battery drain
- PerfScope: a white-box performance risk analysis methodology
(Full publication list)
Early Detection of Configuration Errors to Reduce Failure Damage [Best Paper Award]
Tianyin Xu, Xinxin Jin, Peng Huang, Yuanyuan Zhou, Shan Lu, Long Jin, Shankar Pasupathy
DefDroid: Towards a More Defensive Mobile OS Against Disruptive App Behavior
Peng Huang, Tianyin Xu, Xinxin Jin, and Yuanyuan Zhou
Saving Mobile App Developers from Network Disruptions
Xinxin Jin, Peng Huang, Tianyin Xu, and Yuanyuan Zhou
ConfValley: A Systematic Configuration Validation Framework for Cloud Services
- Program Committee:
- SIGCOMM HotConNet: 2017
- USENIX ATC: 2017
- MobiSys PhD forum: 2016
- Shadow PC: EuroSys 2017
- Journal Reviewer: TPDS 2016
- Assistant for PC chair: ASPLOS 2016
Note about my name: Ryan is my English name. My legal name is Peng Huang, which I use in publications and legal documents.